Volunteering is important to Birmingham Conservation Trust’s work. This statement is designed to demonstrate our commitment to volunteering and individual volunteers, ensuring all volunteers are treated consistently, equally and fairly. We believe we can achieve more with volunteers. We value and appreciate the full worth of all volunteers.
You are whoever you are – Birmingham Conservation Trust is committed to equal opportunities.
As a volunteer you can expect that…
- You will be made to feel welcome by the organisation
- Your skills will be matched with our opportunities wherever possible
- You will be volunteering for an organisation which opposes all forms of illegal discrimination
- You are covered by Birmingham Conservation Trust insurance if working under our instruction
- You will be appreciated and recognised for your contribution to Birmingham Conservation Trust
- You will be provided with training and support in order to fulfill your volunteer role
- Your work conditions will be safe and healthy wherever possible – risks will be advised where necessary
- Birmingham Conservation Trust will help you to resolve any problems that arise
- You will be given regular opportunity to review what you do with your manager
- Birmingham Conservation Trust will seek your views on volunteering and your experiences as a volunteer
- You will be entitled to claim back travel expenses to and from the place of volunteering at a rate of up to £5 per shift including parking (please submit receipts or tickets).
Birmingham Conservation Trust expects volunteers to:
- Fulfill volunteering within the terms specified in organisational policies and in the volunteer’s role description.
- Be reliable in delivering tasks identified, honest in all dealings and treat everyone you encounter through your work with BCT with respect
- Work safely and responsibly.
- Attend appropriate training and promote understanding and enjoyment of Birmingham’s built heritage.
- Be able to commit to a four hour shift on a fortnightly basis.
Birmingham Conservation Trust reserves the right to withdraw an offer of volunteering if the above criteria are not fulfilled or if the conduct of a volunteer negatively affects other volunteers or staff.
For the avoidance of doubt volunteers are not employees or members of staff and it is not intended that they should be.
Claiming back your ‘out of pocket’ expenses
You will be entitled to claim back travel expenses to and from the place of volunteering. This includes mileage. The maximum rate per day is £5, including parking (please submit receipts or tickets).
Claiming other ‘out of pocket’ expenses need to be agreed in advance with Coffin Works’ staff and you will need to keep a receipt for your claim.