In November 1954 John Part and his wife began trading as John Part & Co. Ltd., manufacturers of and dealers in coffin furniture specialising in coffins. They were based at Newman Brothers between 1954 and 1956 where they rented a workshop and office at the manufactory. From our records, we know they paid £3 rent per week. However, by 30th September 1955 the rent for the workshop and office was in arrears. By 28th March 1956 John Part Ltd owed £105 in rent.
We also know that John Part became a shareholder at Newman Brothers on Horace Newman’s death in 1952. John Part was also chairman of Newman Brothers in 1954.
For Newman Brothers’ this collaboration with a trusted director and another company that specialised in products they themselves didn’t manufacture may have been attempt by to expand their product range. Presumably to become a ‘one-stop shop’ in a time when the funerary market was more difficult to dominate.
John Part & Co. Ltd ceased trading in 1956 and went into voluntary liquidation, with a total deficit of £1,421 (the equivalent of £34,000 today).
By 1957 Parts Patent Shroud and Frilling Company went into voluntary liquidation having a deficit of £19,214. Between 1947 and 1957, John Part received a total of £24,947 in salary, directors’ fees and commission.